Sunday, October 26, 2014

Future Ready Schools?

The assignment was to watch at least three short films from edutopia's Five Minute Film Festival: Future Ready Schools so naturally I started with the first one Audri's Rube Goldberg Monster Trap which I LOVED! Such a creative enthusiastic young man who advises us..."If you don't succeed try, try again."

The next video, Cain's Arcade began streaming directly after and that is where I stayed! After I watched this short film, I quickly clicked to view Cain's Arcade 2 to see what has happened since the first movie was filmed.

I was in tears! It really took me by surprise how moved I was by this story! When I see something like this and I think about the majority of the classrooms across our nation I think that we are failing kids when we don't allow them opportunities to use their "natural power of creativity" It is so true that "children need to be innovators and inventors" and not only at home on their own time away from school but during the school day as well. I know that there are plenty of initiatives promoting project based learning and that there are many schools and school systems that are doing GREAT things but it concerns me that these are more the exception than the rule.

The guy, Nirvan Mullick, who discovered Cain's Arcade and decided to do the movie about him which has now turned into a complete movement The Imagination Foundation says this...
"the idea is not only to give kids the tools to build the things that they can imagine but that they can also imagine the world that they can build." 

Powerful stuff! Are our schools really future ready?


No comments:

Post a Comment